Maroof HS CPA Professional Corporation, Toronto

Income Tax Issues for Ukrainians moving to Canada

A quick overview of the Canadian Income Taxes for the Ukrainians moving to Canada

Canada is going the extra mile to support the Ukrainians affected by the Russian Invasion. With every passing day number of applications for temporary residence is growing. Many of the Ukrainians are already in Canada while more are still on the way.

We are receiving a high number of daily information requests from Ukrainians who are planning to move to Canada. This post is an attempt to provide very high-level information about the income taxes in Canada for them. Though informative, we caution the readers that, this post is for general information purposes only and cannot replace formal tax advice from an income tax professional in Canada.

Based on the top questions asked by Ukrainian immigrants in past two weeks, the top issues  identified are:

  • Tax Residency Issues
  • Double Taxation Issues and relief provided under the treaty
  • Worldwide income reporting for Canadian Tax Residents
  • Bringing funds earned in Ukraine to Canada

Tax Residency in Canada

Canada taxes its residents on their worldwide income. With very high tax rates in Canada, even after the foreign tax credits, taxpayers can expect to pay taxes to Canada.

The very first thing that needs to be determined is the Tax Residency of the Ukrainians temporarily moving to Canada.

This is extremely important to know that tax residency is different from immigration residency in Canada. One may be a resident of Canada for immigration purposes whereas a non-resident or deemed a non-resident for income tax purposes. Therefore it is important to familiarize yourself with some of the key terms used in Canada.

  • Resident of Canada
  • Deemed resident of Canada
  • Factual Resident of Canada
  • Non resident of Canada
  • Deemed non-resident of Canada
  • Immigrant/Emigrant for tax purposes & Part-year residents of Canada

While determining an individual’s tax residency status, both Significant residential ties and Secondary residential ties are analyzed together. An individual becomes a resident of Canada when (s)he established significant residential ties with Canada. The year when you move to Canada (Immigrate) is generally a part-year tax residency year.

If you do not establish significant residential ties to Canada, you may be a deemed resident of Canada if you spend more than 183 days in Canada. However, you can still be considered deemed non-resident (even after meeting the 183 days rule) if you use the tie-breaker rules provided in the tax treaty between Ukraine and Canada.

Some common questions about tax residency in Canada are answered in this post about tax residency. While you can determine the residency status using these rules, always remember to look for tie-breaker rules provided in the tax treaty.

Using Tie-breaker Rules: Canada-Ukraine Tax Treaty

Article IV of the tax treaty between Ukraine and Canada provides specific rules around tax residency. It also provides tie-breaker rules where an individual is considered a resident of both countries. This can be really useful for those Ukrainians who spend more than 183 days in Canada but have closer ties to Ukraine.

If using the tie-breaker rules, you are a Ukrainian tax resident, you only have to pay income taxes on Canadian-sourced income in Canada. However, you must be careful in applying tie-breaker rules and ensure a correct tax return is filed in Canada. When you use tie-breaker rules to avoid getting taxed on income earned outside Canada, bear in mind it can affect eligibility for other government supports such as GST/HST credits or other similar benefits. 

http://The tax treaty between Canada and Ukraine is available here. 

Double Taxation Issues and relief provided under the treaty

One of the most frequently asked questions in the past few days is about double taxation.

Yes, there is a relief provided in the tax treaty. If you are a resident of Canada and reporting your Ukrainian-sourced income (or other worldwide income), the income is taxable in Canada. Relief is provided by allowing a foreign tax credit against the taxes paid in Ukraine.

Foreign tax credits and foreign tax deductions are two different concepts. Sometimes foreign tax deductions are available where foreign tax credits are not available. However, that’s beyond the scope of this post here.

Worldwide Income Reporting and Taxation in Canada

As mentioned before, Canada taxes its residents (tax residents) on its worldwide income. Of course, providing relief from double taxation in form of foreign tax credits. Some of the key points you need to know are listed below. Please note this is not an exhaustive, but a very limited list for general purposes.

  • Business income earned in a corporation versus an unincorporated form of business has different tax treatments.
  • An unincorporated business such as a sole proprietor or partnership generally falls under self-employment for income tax purposes. Self-employment income is sourced from the country of residence of the taxpayer.
  • A business income earned by a corporation is taxed in the country of residence of that corporation. The dividends distributed to the shareholders are then taxed in the shareholders’ hands.
  • The concept of Permanent Establishment is critical to the determination of taxation of the business profits. Article 7 provides the details on the business profits whereas permanent establishment (PE) is described in article 5 of the treaty. The readers are strongly advised to read through these treaty articles.
  • Unlike business profits, passive income (such as rents, dividends, royalties, and other passive income) is taxed on a current basis in Canada. Even if this income is earned in a foreign corporation.
  • Beware of Canada’s Foreign affiliate rules, foreign asset reporting, and transfer pricing rules when structuring corporate entities and cross-border transactions.
  • Foreign employment income is reported and taxed in Canada as well with relief provided by FTCs.

Bringing Funds to Canada

Quite a few people were confused about bringing funds from Ukraine to Canada. 

Yes, you can bring as many funds as you want to Canada, through whatever channel, this is not taxed in Canada. The income you earned before coming to Canada is not taxed in Canada. (Beware of the physical cash limitations while moving across borders, please check with customs). 

While we are going to update this post again based on the feedback provided in the comments section below, please do not rely on this post as a sole source of information. Leave comments if you have some questions, we try our best to join the discussion. Please do not discuss your specific tax situation using the comments section as we provide the response to questions/comments of generic nature only. Specific tax situations are discussed through formal tax planning requests only.

Maroof Hussain Sabri

Maroof Hussain Sabri

Maroof is a CPA, CA in the province of Ontario and Alberta in Canada. He is also a licensed CPA from New York & North Dakota in the United States. He lives in Toronto.

Liked this Post?
You can share the post and subscribe for more interesting content.

Maroof Hussain Sabri

Maroof Hussain Sabri

Maroof is a CPA, CA in the province of Ontario and Alberta in Canada. He is also a licensed CPA from New York & North Dakota in the United States. He lives in Toronto.

Like this Post?
You can share it…

15 thoughts on “Income Tax Issues for Ukrainians moving to Canada”

  1. Hi Maroof,

    So in simple terms if I earn money as a private entrepreneur in Ukraine, pay taxes there and move to Canada by CUAET – I will be taxed by Canada starting Day 1?


    1. Andy, not so simple. Check your residential ties to both countries. Simply moving to Canada may not make you a tax resident of Canada as it could be overridden by tax treaty. If you become a Canadian tax resident, Yes, the income is taxable in Canada and you are also able to claim foreign tax credit to avoid double taxation.

  2. Maroof I was approached by someone with a CUAET visa. They have employment income from Ukraine continuing even after arriving in Canada. There is no income in Canada. Arrived in Canada in Sept. therefore not a deemed resident in 2022.
    Question is should they file a 2022 tax return on their world income?

  3. Hi Marrof

    I moved to Canada with my family under the CUAETprogram and received a one-time benefit of 3,000$ per adult and 1,500$ per child under this program. Is this assistance taxable? We also provide subsidy for childcare, do we need to indicate this as well?


  4. For a Ukrainian refugee who has established residential ties in Canada and has Canadian income in 2022, is it safe to say that they would pay tax on Cdn income only? Would they be required to file Ukrainian taxes as well on Ukrainian income?

    1. Maroof Hussain Sabri

      Id you established residential ties, world wide income is taxable in Canada. However, you can check if you can rely on treaty tie-breaker rules.

  5. Hello Maroof,
    Thank you for the article!
    Please, advice how to check if I can rely on treaty tie-breaker rules?

  6. Good afternoon Maroof,
    My niece who arrived to Canada in 022 had an Employment Income from Ukraine January-March (taxes were deducted in full mount) and worked in Canada on T4 during 8 months.
    She lives permanently in my house.
    What is the tax-residency status should be put in her Income tax return 2022?
    What about Ukrainian Income?
    Unfortunately, I can’t understand clearly the treaty tie-breaker rules by myself.
    Please help us.

    Thank you

    1. Maroof Hussain Sabri

      Hi Elena, there is no quick answer. I suggest checking with some tax preparer, who can apply tie-breaker rules for her. The income earned before coming to Canada is not taxable in Canada but is reported as it is used to calculate the credits.

  7. Hello Maroof,
    Could you please advise If 70+ years parents came to Canada in December 2022 under CUAET, received one-time $3000 help, does not have any income in Canada, and not planning to work here or apply to any other financial help. However receive their pension in Ukraine. Should they file their taxes?

  8. Maroof, good day,
    I am Ukrainian, have Canadian RRSP account and non-Canadian resident. There is a tax treaty between Canada and Ukraine.
    If I want to withdraw all money from RRSP how much tax I will pay in this case?
    Thank you.

    1. Maroof Hussain Sabri

      First you have to see if you had a contribution room. If you did not have contribution room and you contributed you have to remove the excess contributions. Follow the link to get more information:
      If you did have the room and contributed in the past. Yes the withdrawal is subject to withholding taxes. You should inform the financial instt so that they can apply the correct rate.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Need Help?

If you have a generic question, you can submit a comment at the end of this post. If you’d like a formal consultation or advice, getting a quote is very simple!



Do You Have A Tax Question?

Write to us and if there are more requests, we may post an answer for you.

Subscribe Now!

Please subscribe to our mailing lists for occasional informational notifications.

Looking for Tax Help?

If you are looking for specific tax advice, start the process now!.

Do you have a Tax Question

Write to us and if there are more requests, we may post an answer for you.

Subscribe Now!

Please subscribe to our mailing lists for occasional informational notifications.

Looking for Tax Help?

We are here to help!

If you are looking to hire our services, you can start the process here.

Scroll to Top