Maroof HS CPA Professional Corporation, Toronto

Your Tax Questions Answered!

We often answer the questions sent by the readers, and post answers if that can help other readers.

Question asked by Marjorie Trevor:

My corporation, a CCPC, has a catering business and holds a building as an asset. I rent a portion of the building but use the rest in my operations. Is my corporation now a Specified Investment Business?

Disclaimer: This is not tax advice. The answer below is for general purposes. Please exercise caution while making any decision based on this post or any other post on this website. This question may have been rephrased to correct some of the technical terms. The rephrased questions are often more helpful to a wider range of readers. 

Incidental Rental Income is the Active Business of a Corporation

Active business income earned in a Canadian Controlled Private Corporation (CCPC), has preferential tax rates due to the operation of Small business deduction (SBD).

When a CCPC earns investment income or property income, that income is taxed at higher rates. If the corporation’s primary purpose is to generate income from property, the corporation is not a CCPC but a Specified Investment Business.

Subsection 129(4) defines Aggregate investment income, however, paragraph b excludes certain income from the property. If the income from property, i.e. rental income, is incidental to an active business, that income is not included in Aggregate investment income on schedule 7 of T2. 

Going back to the original question, if renting part of the building made it a specified investment business income or not?

If the rental income in this situation is incidental to the catering business of the corporation, it is not an investment income. The corporation runs a catering business and used the building for its operations. During covid-19, a smaller portion, let’s say 25%, started generating rental income on a temporary basis. The primary business is still catering and still used 75% of the building. If this is the situation, this income can be safely recorded as Active business income. 

Read: Rental income from associated corporations is Active business income in some situations. 

While preparing your Corporate income tax return T2, for such a corporation, there is no need to fill Schedule 7. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Do you have a Tax Question?

Write to us and if there are more similar requests, we may post an answer for you.

Subscribe Now!

Please subscribe to our mailing lists for occasional informational notifications.

Looking for Tax Help?

If you are looking for specific tax advice, please write to us.

Some more questions:

IT Contractors – Employee Vs Incorporation

Question: I Am An IT Professional. I Just Received An Offer From My Employer. My Employer Wants Me To Incorporate And They Have Agreed To Offer A Better Hourly Rate. I Am Confused Should I Set Up A Corporation Or Become An Employee?

Read More »

Tax on Inheritance in Canada

Question: My mother passed away in India last month. I am receiving my share of the family house. The home is located in India. I am a resident of Canada. Do I need to pay taxes in Canada when this property is transferred to me?

Read More »

Some of Our Featured Posts:

The best international accountant in Toronto to do American and Canadian taxes
Corporate Tax - Canada
Fatima Aslam

Important Deadlines – 2023 Tax returns

Important Deadlines: 2023 Tax Returns to be filed in 2024 As the 2024 tax season approaches, taxpayers in both Canada and the United States must follow critical deadlines to ensure

Read More »
Scroll to Top